Greek History
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greek History

Prep for CLST Final Exam, Fall 2010

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Week 12 IDs (Jess is getting Thuc. 7)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jmariwala

Week 12 IDs (Jess is getting Thuc. 7)  Empty
PostSubject: Week 12 IDs (Jess is getting Thuc. 7)    Week 12 IDs (Jess is getting Thuc. 7)  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 4:49 am

BHAG – ch8

Tissaphernes – satrap of sardis; negotiated treaties with Sparta;

Council of four hundered – Athenian assembly voted itself out of existence; placed safety of state in hands of council of 400 which would give way to a body of 5000; believed to be created by Solon.

End of Athens – thanks to alliance between Lysander and cyrus; Lysander was leader of supreme naval power-Spartan navy.

Alcibiadies – leader of Athens during final years before defeat by Sparta

Battle of Arginusae – Impressive naval victory for Athens off the Arginusae islands sinking 75 Peloponnesian ships; aftermath was bizarre self-destruction of Athenian empire.

Final battle – battle at Aegospotami. Last stand of Athens;

Aristophanes, Lysistrata

Play is by Aristophanes – wrote play Lysistrata; not advocate of peace at any price;

Lysistrata – Athenian woman in Aristophanes’ play Lysistrata; leader of revolt of women against men; involved barring them from sex to try and achieve peace;

Calonice, Myrrhine – Athenian women in same play; Lysistrata’s “sidekicks” of a sort;

Lampito – Spartan woman whom they use to help their cause; Aristophanes makes her seem stupider than the rest, less classy? (Implying something about Athens>Sparta maybe?)

Plato, The Apology

Plato – Greek philosopher; student of Socrates – deeply influenced by his thinking and unjust execution; A lot of his accounts of Socrates were just a way for him to express his own thoughts (I remember Prof. Sosin saying this in class please correct me if I’m wrong)

The Apology – defence of Socrates; on trial for execution; unjustly convicted (Acc to Plato)

Socrates – Greek Athenian philosopher; Most of our knowledge about him comes from Plato’s accounts; Put on trial in 399 B.C, when he was 70; was asked to prescribe his own penalty;

Meletos, Anytos, Lycon – accused Socrates of impiety and corrupting young men; reason why he is on trial;
[u]
Back to top Go down

Week 12 IDs (Jess is getting Thuc. 7)
Page 1 of 1